This Chicken and Apple House Salad is a light and refreshing salad that is perfect for a meal. The combination of chicken, apples, and grapes makes for a delicious and healthy salad that your entire family will enjoy.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This salad is a healthy source of protein and fiber.
- It’s also light and refreshing when you don’t want a heavy meal.
- And it’s a great way to use fresh apples while they are in peak season in the fall with delicious flavor.
You only need a handful of simple ingredients to help you make this delicious salad recipe. After one quick trip to the grocery store, you will be ready to make this flavorful salad recipe. And you will be so glad that you made the effort after you take the first bite of this crunchy, filling salad.
For the dressing:
- Vegetable oil
- Apple cider vinegar
- Black pepper
For the salad:
- spring mix
- chicken breast, grilled and cubed
- green apple, diced
- red grapes, cut in half
- chopped walnuts
- blue cheese crumbles
You only need a couple of common kitchen tools to make this healthy and refreshing meal. Gather these tools and get ready to enjoy this homemade salad!
- Large skillet
- Small bowl
- Whisk or spoon
How to Make Chicken and Apple House Salad
Making this Chicken and Apple House Salad recipe is simple. Follow the steps below, and you will have a healthy, homemade salad that your family will enjoy.
Step 1: Heat a small skillet over medium heat and cook the chicken breast for 8 minutes, then flip and cook for an additional 4 minutes, or until cooked through.
Make sure that your chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. Once the chicken is done cut it into diced bite-sized pieces.
Step 2: While the chicken is cooking, dice the apple and cut the grapes in half.
Dice the apples into bite-sized pieces. If your grapes are large you might want to quarter them.
Step 3: Add the mayonnaise, vegetable oil, apple cider vinegar, sugar, and black pepper to a small bowl and stir well, until completely combined.
After you mix the dressing, set it aside to marinate while you finish the chicken.
Step 4: When ready to serve, add the lettuce to a large bowl, drizzle the dressing, and mix it all together.
Step 5: Add the chicken, apples, grapes, walnuts, and blue cheese and toss.
This salad can be stored in the fridge; however, you will need to store it without the dressing on the lettuce. The dressing can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to one week. Just give it a good shake or stir before you pour it over your salad.
Here are a few tips to make sure that your salad turns out perfect every time that you make it.
- You can use any type of lettuce that you like for this recipe. We prefer the taste of spring mix, but you can also use berg or romaine lettuce.
- If you want to save some time, you can buy pre-cooked chicken breast at the store.
- You can also use rotisserie chicken in this recipe. Just remove the skin and chop it into bite-sized pieces.
- I like to use granny smith apples in this recipe, but you can use whatever type of apple that you have on hand or prefer.
Do you have questions about this recipe? Here are the answers to the most commonly asked questions for this Chicken and Apple House Salad recipe.
Yes, you can use romaine or iceberg lettuce.
You could use plain Greek yogurt instead.
The dressing can be made up to one week in advance. Just make sure that you store it in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp black pepper
For the salad:
- 4 cups spring mix
- 1 chicken breast, grilled and cubed
- 1 green apple, diced
- ½ cup red grapes, cut in half
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup blue cheese crumbles
1. Heat a small skillet over medium heat and cook the chicken breast for 8 minutes, then flip and cook for an additional 4 minutes, or until cooked through.
2. While the chicken is cooking, dice the apple and cut the grapes in half.
3. Add the mayonnaise, vegetable oil, apple cider vinegar, sugar, and black pepper to a small bowl and stir well, until completely combined.
4. When ready to serve, add the lettuce to a large bowl, and drizzle the dressing, and mix it all together.
5. Add the chicken, apples, grapes, walnuts and blue cheese and toss.
6. Serve, and enjoy!
Feel free to experiment with other mix-ins. This is a creamier salad, so feel free to add more spring mix or less dressing.
You can prep everything, then add the dressing when ready to serve.